Covid-19 Update - 6th September, 2020
LATEST UPDATE 6th September, 2020
The indoor tennis courts will open on Tuesday, 8th September, initially for members and players with regular or block bookings.
The squash courts will open on Friday 11th September and we will soon announce the detail of the procedures we are implementing to ensure they are ‘Covid-safe’.
UPDATE 25th August, 2020
As you are probably aware the Government announced last Friday further lockdown restrictions for eight wards in Blackburn. These are Audley & Queens Park, Bastwell & Daisyfield, Billinge & Beardwood, Blackburn Central, Little Harwood & Whitebirk, Roe Lee, Shear Brow & Corporation Park and Wensley Fold. The club is situated in the Roe Lee ward.
The new rules are somewhat vague and open to interpretation and to date there has been no official guidance from the LTA. Club officials have studied the changes and have interpreted them as follows:-
- The outdoor tennis courts can remain open
- Members who live in any of the 8 wards can still play tennis with members of different households providing 2m social distancing is upheld.
- Nothing has changed for members who live in the other wards in the town or outside the borough.
Since our last update the LTA have issued revised guidelines for players and venues. Please note the new advice for doing a pre-attendance symptom check before you visit the club.
PRE-ATTENDANCE SYMPTOM CHECK
- Anyone attending a venue (including players, coaches, staff and any other visitors), should undergo a pre-attendance self-assessment for any COVID19 symptoms using the information on the NHS website before leaving home.
- No-one should leave home to participate in tennis if they, or someone they live with, has symptoms of COVID -19, currently recognised as any of the following: - A high temperature - A new, continuous cough - A loss of, or change to, their sense of smell or taste
- Should an individual have demonstrated any such symptoms, they must follow NHS and PHE guidance on self-isolation
Indoor Tennis and Squash
Sadly our indoor facilities must remain closed. The government are reviewing the local lockdown restrictions every Friday so please check your e-mails and our website every week for any change. The continued closure of indoor sports and gyms is peculiar to Blackburn and Bradford even though there are other areas where indoor facilities are open despite being on local lockdown and having higher infection rates. We have written to our MP and local councillors about this anomaly.
We are ready to open our indoor tennis and squash courts as soon as the restrictions are lifted.
Finally a big thank you to all our members for your continued support during this difficult time.
Blackburn Northern Committee